SAN DIEGO COUNTY, CA – Save lives and get a gift card by donating blood or platelets through the American Red Cross.
The Red Cross, which provides around 40% of the country’s blood, launched its first-ever blood crisis in January, due to the COVID-19 pandemic and harsh winter conditions.
“The Red Cross blood supply remains vulnerable and individuals are urged to plan a blood or platelet donation,” a press release read. “In the days and weeks ahead, it is extremely important that the Red Cross maintains a readily available blood supply so that hospitalized patients can receive the care they need.”
Anyone who donates blood or platelets in March will receive a $10 e-gift card, thanks to Fanatics. Donors will also be automatically entered for a chance to win a trip for two to the 2022 MLB All-Star Game in Los Angeles.
Red Cross blood drives are held throughout San Diego County. See the list of upcoming blood drives below. Donors are asked to make an appointment before coming to a blood drive.
- 03/17/2022: 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Mercy Air 5, 580 Airport Road
- 03/24/2022: 8 a.m. – 7 p.m., Oceanside Masonic Center, 511 Eucalyptus
- 03/22/2022: 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Poway Library Branch, 13137 Poway Road
- 03/31/2022: 10:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Target, 14823 Pomerado Road
- Red Cross Kearny Mesa Blood Donation Center, 4229 Ponderosa Ave., Suite C (see RedCrossBlood.org for hours)
- 03/16/2022: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Bernardo Heights Country Club, 16066 Bernardo Heights Parkway
- 03/21/2022: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Mission Valley YMCA, 5505 Friars Road
- 03/21/2022: 10:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., San Diego State University Aztec Drive, 5500 Campanile Drive
- 03/22/2022: 12 p.m. – 6 p.m., Rancho Penasquitos Library, 13330 Salmon River Road
- 03/29/2022: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m., Westview High School, 13500 Camino Del Sur
- 03/29/2022: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Crown Air, 3794 John J Montgomery Drive
- 03/30/2022: 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Integrated DNA Technologies, 6828 Nancy Ridge, Suite 400
- 03/30/2022: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., The Research Park at Torrey Pines, 10835 Road to the Cure
- 2022-03-17: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., City of San Marcos, 1 Civic Center Drive
- 03/23/2022: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Rock Church, 1370 W San Marcos Blvd.
What you need to know about blood donation
All blood groups are required. Interested in donating? Download the Red Cross Blood Donor app, visit RedCrossBlood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) for more information or to schedule an appointment.
A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in.
People who are 17 years old in most states (16 years old with parental consent where state law permits), weigh at least 110 pounds and are generally in good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 and under must also meet certain height and weight requirements.
Donors can save time by using RapidPass to complete their reading and medical history questionnaire online, on the day of their donation, before arriving at the blood drive.