Christ salvation

FISH and the Salvation Army begin Christmas assistance | Local News

Fall may have just begun, but two local service agencies are already launching efforts to help Hunt County families enjoy the upcoming holidays.

Hunt County Shared Ministries, also known as FISH, accepts applications for Thanksgiving and Christmas assistance through the annual Hunt County Gives program.

The Hunt County Salvation Army will be accepting applications for Christmas assistance through the Angel Tree program for children next week.

FISH is accepting requests from families in need for Thanksgiving and Christmas food baskets. Registration will continue until the end of October

A confirmation card will be mailed to each eligible household, telling them where to pick up their Thanksgiving basket and another telling them where the Christmas basket will be distributed. Original confirmation cards must be presented at distribution sites.

Distribution days and locations have yet to be announced.

Each family that registers will receive a turkey for Thanksgiving and also for Christmas, along with an assortment of accompanying food items and donations are also being sought to help families this holiday season. This is the 12th annual Hunt County Gives and the demand is growing every year.

In 2021, FISH provided some 3,000 meals during the holidays, not including the agency providing turkeys for “Feed The Hungry” dinners at Clark Street Christian Church in Greenville.

Volunteers will be needed to wrap Thanksgiving and Christmas baskets and deliver items.

Anyone needing additional information can contact FISH at 903-455-0545 or

The Hunt County Salvation Army will be accepting applications for the Angel Tree program Monday and Tuesday of next week, between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. each day, at the agency’s office, 4912 Lee St. in Greenville. Angel Tree is for children 12 and under. Children must be with the applicant on the day of registration and all necessary documents must be presented at that time. Documentation must include photo ID, Social Security cards for each available child, birth certificates for each eligible child, proof of household income, last two pay stubs, two proofs of residency and proof that the child or children attend the Greenville Independent School District.

Additional information is available by calling 903-455-1875.