A man officially declared a suspect in the Madeleine McCann disappearance case has had his parole request rejected in Germany, according to a report. Convicted sex offender Christian Brueckner – who was given a seven-year sentence for rape in a separate case in 2019 – was denied parole in April because of his ‘social prognosis’.
A spokesperson for the Oldenburg District Court told the Mirror: ‘The court found there were no grounds to suspend the remainder of the sentence. Brueckner, who was identified as a murder suspect by German prosecutors in June 2020, has reportedly denied involvement in the McCann case and has not been charged.
Prosecutors were reportedly surprised on Monday by the emergence of an alleged alibi presented on behalf of Brueckner claiming there was photographic evidence showing he was miles away when Madeleine McCann was snatched from her bed in a holiday apartment in a complex. in Praia da Luz in Algrave, Portugal May 3, 2007. Brueckner was declared an official suspect by Portuguese authorities last month.
According to the Mirror, investigators believe the convicted sex offender killed then-three-year-old Madeleine after snatching her from the holiday apartment. Madeleine would be 19 next Thursday – May 12.
Chief German prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters said: “His request was rejected on the grounds that he could not benefit from a positive social prognosis. In other words, the court said that he believed that the convict would commit further offenses if released.
It came after Madeleine’s parents said it was ‘essential’ they learn the truth about what happened to their daughter on this day, the 15th anniversary of her disappearance. In a post on the official Find Madeleine campaign Facebook page on Monday, Kate and Gerry McCann wrote that although “uncertainty breeds weakness”, they need closure on what happened to her. The Metropolitan Police, who continue to treat Madeleine’s disappearance as a missing persons inquiry, said they were “committed” to finding the truth 15 years later.
The McCanns’ message read: ‘This year we mark 15 years since we last saw Madeleine. It doesn’t seem harder than any other (year) but it doesn’t seem easier either. It’s very long. Many people talk about the need for “closure”. It still feels like a strange term.
“Regardless of the outcome, Madeleine will always be our daughter and a truly horrific crime has been committed. These things will remain. It is true that uncertainty creates weakness; knowledge and certainty give strength, and for this reason our need for answers, for truth, is essential.
“We are grateful for the continued work and commitment of the UK, Portuguese and German authorities, as it is this combined policing effort that will deliver results and give us these answers. As always, we would like to thank all of our supporters for their continued well wishes and support. It is a great comfort to know that no matter how much time passes, Madeleine is always in people’s hearts and minds. Thank you.”
In July 2013 Scotland Yard launched its own investigation, Operation Grange, into Madeleine’s disappearance. Metropolitan Police Detective Chief Inspector Mark Cranwell, who is leading the operation, said: ‘Fifteen years after Madeleine’s disappearance in Praia Da Luz, our thoughts are, as always, with her family.
“Officers continue to investigate the case and our dedicated team is still working closely with law enforcement colleagues from the Portuguese Policia Judiciaria as well as the German Bundeskriminalamt. At this time, the case remains a missing person investigation and everyone involved pledges to do what we can to find answers.
For more stories of where you live, visit In your region.